Wright, FISA, Guns & Now Ludacris: Pattern Is Obvious
No one can say the Obama staff doesn’t at least partially learn from their mistakes…..
After allowing the Reverend Wright controversy to fester and damage his campaign for months, at least the Obama Campaign reacted fairly swiftly in putting distance between the hate speech of Ludacris in his most recent video. Problem is, they continue to want their cake and eat it too. In denouncing the lyrics, Obama and his staff continue to praise this despicable hater. And that lies at the center of people’s misgivings about Senator Obama.
Saying Ludacris should be “ashamed of himself” for the lyrics he used, and then praising him for being a talented artist and good businessman, they completely negate their condemnation. This is a replay of the Jerimah Wright business, where Obama distanced himself from that haters more inflammatory statements, yet continued to say what a close, personal friend and mentor the man was.
If this was just about those two unhinged haters, Senator Obama would be entitled by any fair-minded individual, to the benefit of the doubt. But it is pretty clear this is about character, basic fundamental character. The lack of it.
- Obama, going after Hillary Clinton tooth and nail, hammered her unmercifully over FISA. Obama stated dozens of times the telecoms shouldn’t be granted immunity from lawsuits, and he would join other Senators in filibustering it if necessary, during the primaries. As soon as he was assured the nomination, barely a week after, he voted for the measure.
- During the primary season Obama rarely missed a chance to denigrate President Bush’s No Child Left Behind program and his Faith Based Initiative. Now Obama, post primaries, has endorsed both, and more than endorsed, called for expanding both of them!
- He promised to abide by and accept Public Financing of his campaign, and the attendant spending limits that would mean, only to go back on his word once he captured the nomination.
- What little Obama is on the record as saying about gun control, shows he was for it, and believed the Second Amendment permitted strict regulation and/or banning of them. Now, with it important to capturing Independent and Republican voters, he not only endorsed the recent Supreme Court ruling on the District of Columbia’s banning of handguns, he took it a step further, saying the Court’s ruling was in line with his feelings all along! I actually looked up at that time, looking for the house I just knew was hurtling from the heavens to land on him……
- And of course there is the “Surge”. He was against it from the beginning. Now he says that isn’t so. And of course, Obama says he isn’t prepared to say it has worked, nor would that fact, if he were to accept its truth, cause him to support it now.
Given the above, and several dozen other reversals, the pattern is clear and set. Apologists try to paint his about-faces as Obama’s evolution of thought, or a refinement. That is BS. I respect anyone having a legitimate change of heart. Senator McCain, on drilling, for instance, was straight enough to explain that what made a sensible stance when oil was thirty-five dollars per barrel, wasn’t at all reasonable or sensible when it was over $100. In my book that isn’t flipping or flopping, but evaluating policy in light of more current conditions.
From the Surge to guns, from FISA to No Child Left Behind, to even injecting racism and gender into the campaign, it is clear Barack Obama and his team are prepared to do or say anything to get elected, to sell out any supporter or friend in order to get power.
Part of the dangerous game Obama & Company are playing is giving all these shifting positions the old “wink and nod” to his hard-core supporters…..letting them perceive that Obama hasn’t really changed at all, and is merely saying what is necessary to win–to stop that horrible McCain. Then, once in the White House, he will somehow revert back to the “Good Barack” they flocked to and supported. Such talk is rampant in the thousands of “My Barack Obama” (http://www.mybarackobama.com) website groups. His advisors evidently believe the cult of personality they have developed around Obama will be able to ride out the eventual disenchantment and fury when most his supporters realize they have been played.
I wonder. If their gamble is wrong, people will take to the streets.